Social Justice is a vital part of UUCCI. We provide many outreach opportunities for courageous action in our local community, our nation, and throughout the world with initiatives in humanitarian relief, diversity, economic and social justice, social services, and marginalized communities. This is what we are doing. What would you like to do?
This team collaborates with local, state, and international organizations advocating for marginalized communities in causes including LGBTQ, immigration, and women’s health issues.
- International Women’s Day
- Arts for AIDS
- Pride Alliance
- Inclusive Community
For current activities contact: Team Leaders, Sondra Bolte or Liz Nolan-Greven
Community Outreach Team
Mission: To work with local non-profits and organizations, providing funding, activities, and programs that will impact the community positively.
- African-American Fund
- Laws Lecture Series
- Peace Fellowship
- Advocates for Children (CASA)
- Turning Point
- Empty Bowls
- Mitten Tree
- Thrive Alliance
- Community School Supplies Assistance
- Food drives
- Horizon House and Bright Beginnings Homeless Shelter
For current activities contact: Team Leader, Cathy Caldie
Global Action Team
This team coordinates communication, education, and fundraising efforts for UUCCI partners in global endeavors.
- AIDS orphanage in Kitale, Kenya
- ANSWER: American-Nepali Student and Women’s Educational Relief
- ALFA: Adult Literacy Food Program in Limonade, Haiti
- KIVA: Micro-Loan Program for entrepreneurs in developing countries
Help connect our congregation to the world through the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC). The UUSC advances human rights in the US and around the world.
- Bringing a brighter future to displaced families
- Promoting worker’s rights and a living wage
- Advancing civil liberties
- Guest at Your Table (annual fund drive)
- Creating hope among darkness
- Protecting refugees fleeing crisis
- Defending the right to safe, affordable water
- Protecting people affected by disaster
Contact: Team Leader, Edrie Martin
Our congregation has been part of the Hot Meal Site community in Columbus for over 12 years. Teams from UUCCI provide a hot meal for those in need at First Presbyterian Church on 7th Street the first Friday of the month. Contact: Team Leader, Patti Wade
For what we are doing see the Green Action page.
Share the Plate
Twice each month the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbus, Indiana sends the Sunday Service collection to a different non-profit group. You can help us decide where it goes. Social Action Collection Nomination Forms are available in the Fellowship Hall. Be it local, state, or global; diversity, humanitarian, welcoming, or green, please fill out a form with the organization mailing list and a brief description so UUCCI can vote to support their good work.
In addition to organizations listed above, over the past few years funds have gone to:
Sycamore Land Trust
Frank & Carolyn Souse Health Fund/Columbus Regional Hospital to those in need
Aging and Community Services
Columbus Food Coop
Volunteers in Medicine
Hurricane and tornado disaster relief efforts
a host of other worthy causes…